Strengthening Family Dynamics for Family Business Growth…….since 1985
1. Independent Management Consulting to Family Business: 32 Years (PROMAG Consultancy Services founded in 1985): I have been consulting to Family Owned-and-Managed Businesses for over 30 years, right from the time I started my consulting practice……started first with purely business-related strategic planning and operational management issues. However, I began to notice that almost hidden were relationship and other issues from within the Family that had a significant influence on the management and decision-making process within the Family Business itself.
Fortunately for me, even as my interest in Family Business grew, it was again an enlightened and very well-exposed-to-business Partner of my very first Family Business Client who introduced me to the importance of understanding the behind-the-scene Family Relationships, Values, and Vibrations that inevitably influenced the Business Dynamics of the Family Business. This Family Business Group is today, as we speak, successfully firing on all cylinders, and continues to be India’s largest, and one of the World’s leading production and marketing houses in its industry, and also owns the No. 1 Brand in this Industry.
Selections from my experience while working with Family Business Clients over the years is reflected in my blogs at www.familybusinessadvice.wordpress.com. The blogs reflect actual interaction and learning with clients even while their identity is not disclosed. Many of the issues discussed are common to most Family Businesses including the problems of ‘Letting go” by the older generation, Leadership and Succession, Accountability, and competence of the younger generation to move the business forward. There are, of course, many other issues.
Again and again, my experience has shown that in a Family Business, Growth is the primary key to peace and perpetuation of the Family Business, and equally, Stagnation promotes conflict and disintegration.
My Clients have come from diverse industry segments, including Chemicals, Automotive, Incense sticks, leather goods export, agro-industry products, jewelry, electrical engineering, IT, etc.
2. Consulting Experience (Misc.): Between 1992 and 1996: Associated as an Expert and Team Leader with United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in multiple Enterprise Restructuring Missions in Africa in Zambia and Tanzania with special reference to the SME sector. Here again the selected private sector enterprises were all Family Businesses, either African or Indian (Gujarati) owned.
3. Professional Managerial Employment in Industry – Prior 1985/ 20 Years/ Description: Prior to my start-up as an independent management consultant, and before founding PROMAG Consultancy Services, my primary professional management career was with a progressive and far-sighted family-promoted but professionally managed private sector Business Group in India – The ANAND Group – in the Automotive Products Industry (Gabriel/ Purolator/ Perfect Circle/ Victor Gaskets, etc). Started in 1966 as a Management Trainee and rose to Top Management positions in Corporate Planning & Strategy (including active involvement with the Group Chairman – reported directly to him – in setting up of new projects in a backward area of Himachal Pradesh – Parwanoo), in Human Resource.
4. Passed out with an MBA from IIMC in 1966 (First Batch).
5. Blogsite: www.familybusinessadvice.wordpress.com